Music Banter - View Single Post - Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I think you're trivializing what they did. I live in a society where the chance of this happening to you any random day of the week is practically zero. I don't know of any norwegian serial killers and they're not a feature of anyone's everyday life so I don't see why the lesson to learn here is to always be prepared for that horrible unpreparable near-nil chance of something like this happen. I know my mind is just not that dark.

I think it is important to know that you live in a society that raises people good or bad and even if it's near perfect, there's no guarantee you won't raise a monster every now and then. Maybe it's not even society's fault, it could be something about their biology that makes them so. The important thing then is that society is able to deal with that, preferably before violence and murder happens - but when that fails and the act has happened, society still owes it to the victims it failed to protect and the people who no longer feel safe to make an example and show that it does not accept this kind of stuff and will punish the guilty.

Always being prepared for the worst - except in rare cases - does not really make it better for anyone, not even yourself.