Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #119 (permalink)
Fender
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesedream View Post
I'm thinking of doing a few that i haven't seen done yet, but alot of them are bands that I'm assuming people are familiar enough with...if anyone wants any of these in particular first let me know - I'll probably end up doing most of them anyway just for fun though.

Beginner guide to:

Smashing Pumpkins (my favorite band, so this would span all albums and b-sides and be a large, maybe 2 disc definitive compilation)
Catherine Wheel
Guided By Voices (I saw one done from just the early days, but this would be a career spanning mix for those interested)
Bad Religion
Hum
The Smiths
Morrissey
Radiohead
Oasis
Thursday
Weezer
Thrice (most people write them off as a simple "scene" band, but their music in recent years actually ranges from electronic masterpieces and piano ballads to folky acoustic tracks and Deftones-esque heavy rockers. This would be a great introduction to a criminally overlooked band)

Essential Genre mixes:

Shoegaze (for those interested in seeing what it's all about, this would be a "best-of" of the genre, old bands to current bands)
Emo (no not the slit your wrists Hawthorne Heights ****, but the REAL deal - the 1980s/1990s stuff that began in DC with Rites of Spring and had a 2nd wave in the 90s with bands like Sunny Day Real Estate)

So you wanna hear the REAL stuff?
Ever wonder why people are so into a band, but you've only heard their radio hits? These would be mixes of deep cuts to show you why.

Nirvana
Aerosmith
Green Day
I would be interested in a Smashing Pumpkins beginner guide. I have heard some of their stuff, however you seem extremely knowledgable on them so I'm interested in what would be on there.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote