Music Banter - View Single Post - stranger in a strange land.
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

"Jazz In Silhouette" by Sun Ra

Track listing:

Enlightenment
Saturn
Velvet
Ancient Aiethopia
Hours After
Horoscope
Images
Blues At Midnight

When I first approached this album, I was expecting something completely different than what I had previously heard from Ra. I'd been told that this was his most accessible album when it came to getting into his vast catalogue, and also that it was a turning point in his musical career in the sense that every album post-Jazz In Silhouette was spacey and far-out, while everything prior was more traditional jazz fare. This did not turn out to be completely true, and although I'd say that Sound of Joy is Ra's most accessible album I still thoroughly enjoyed Jazz In Silhouette for what it was; an album rife with samba, big band, and smooth jazz influences.

Beginning the album is “Enlightenment”, a track that creeps and lurks its way through your brain with its winding melodies and soulful trumpet. This song reminds me of a night in New Orleans back alleys, where the sounds waft through the dark cool air. Following "Enlightenment" is "Saturn", a much more frantic track. The drums and cymbals are what really drives this song and the quick little trumpet choruses are evidence of Ra's ability to take standard jazz rhythms and liberally apply his own brand of exploratory melody. The key part of this song is the fantastic sax work.

“Velvet” is a song that sounds like it's on the edge of the cliff. Intensely dramatic and harmonious at the same time, Ra encapsulates the feeling of excitement perfectly. The song only clocks in at 3:20, but I found myself just putting it on repeat almost every time I listened to the album.

The first taste of Ra's eccentricity on this album is "Ancient Aiethopia", a song title indicative of not only his love of Egyptian mythology, but also his fondness for African tribal drums as well. With an album cover that was described as "half-naked women teleporting themselves over one of the moons of Saturn", this track provides the background music for such a scene. The twin flutes and piccolos tell a story that is both full of hope and tragedy, and the percussion sounds like Native American religious ceremonies. "Ancient Aiethopia" isn't far off from what would've been heard in antiquity. The 9:09 plays out like a movie, and Ra incorporates a futuristic approach in the second half. The first real piano work on the album appears on this track, and despite its brevity it does not disappoint. The song devolves into chanting and ominous drumming at the second half.

A swinging tune to lighten up the mood is what follows the immense "Ancient Aiethopia", as "Hours After" hearkens back to the days of prohibition jazz. Bluesy and rambling, "Hours After" is another stand-out track with stellar contributions by multiple instruments.

“Horoscope” shows flashes of brilliance, but otherwise it’s yet another Ra standard. It stretches, it rushes, and it swings. A good wedding song, but only if you're into psychedelics.

“Images” is a personal favorite of mine, as it showcases Ra’s piano work. I particularly like the smooth jazz feel, and the flute is sweet as well. I guess I’m just a sucker for extended flute solos, but whatever, you’ll like this song no matter what. It’s neither here nor there, not too bland and not too crazy.

Ending Jazz In Silhouette is the longest song on the album, as “Blues At Midnight” runs about 12 minutes long. Only one word can describe this song; madness. It’s insanely good all around, in all facets, and it’d be hard to find a perspective through which to look at “Blues At Midnight” that could produce a bad reaction. Piano, horns, and percussion are all on top form on this track. Despite the title, there is very little typical blues to be found here as a feeling of melancholy exuberance permeates this song thoroughly.

Jazz In Silhouette is definately an album for fans of big band jazz, or at least those with a taste for jumping rhythms and loads of soulful horns.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote