Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ventures
Thread: The Ventures
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
morgos
Groupie

The Ventures are a great instrumental surf band, (some don't think of them as a surf band, as a lot of what they play isn't what you would typically think of as "genuine" surf music, but I think of them as a surf band nonetheless) and I'm surprised not to see more appreciation of them on this forum. They were even my favorite band once for about a 2 month period. I have a huge soft spot for surf instrumentals, and I've always found the importance of vocals in music grossly overstated.

They have a huge discography, most of which I've found pretty much impossible to find. (and it wouldn't surprise me if most of it was pretty crappy) Most of what you see in stores is just greatest hits compilations with nearly identical track listings making it very annoying to get a hold of their material.(This very well may be a different story for those of you who primarily obtain your music through online torrents) Anyway, for newcomers to the band I'd recommend The Ventures play Telstar/Ventures in space, (their sci-fi stuff is my favorite) and Walk Don't Run: the best of the Ventures. (If you're not put off by the fact that it's a greatest hits comp - it's the best one I've found) The Ventures' Christmas Album is also one of my few genuine guilty pleasures in music.

Anyway, my first post on the forum although I've been lurking for a while. When I saw the lack of posts in this thread, I couldn't bear not to add something to help promote a severely underappreciated band.
morgos is offline   Reply With Quote