Music Banter - View Single Post - Blubbering Trash Monsters
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Terrible Lizard
****ER OF HOLES

I've finally gotten off my lazy ass and decided to review something else for your reading pleasure, or morbid fascination.

Title: Derbe Respect, Alder
Artist: Faust and Dälek
Year: 2004

The moment you hear about this album, you know it's going to be awesome. And you're even more willing to believe that if you're familiar with both the layered second-speak of Dalek, or the dark pandemonium recesses of Faust.
Such excitement has come with other Krautrock, avant-leaning collaborations in the music-world. Some are fantastic, while others fail to meet expectations. Like Disconnected, **** the coughing gag it's been used too much.

Anywhoo the first track on Derbe Respect is conveniently named "Imagine What We Started" which shifts between hollowing desert roars to an almost screeching industrial leaping. Classic sounds with a gruesome twist settle in and don't depart for the rest of the album. Which to say is not a bad thing, coupled with sparse interludes of rapping that fade as quickly as they come.
As expected, the album is more about the images conveyed, and while listening to this, the words to some twisted horror story began to drip from the more morbid corners of my imagination.

I keep seeing myself wander through some barren downtown crowded with smokestacks and rusted streetsigns, everything seems to be crumbling and toxins of every sort dance around me like some twisted Bald Mountain tribal procession. However this is not related to the actual subject that the work presents. I'm sure any of the lyrics for the tracks will give a better inkling.

The collage speaks better without directed interpretation. If it were only longer and a little more surprising as well as buzzing and intricate.

I give this a

out of