Music Banter - View Single Post - It Bites: An Anthill Discography Review
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Default It Bites: An Anthill Discography Review

It Bites
(1982–1990) – (2006 - ???)
Progressive Pop/Rock

Overview:

The 1980’s, depending on who you asked, was either a great era in music or among the most obnoxious of epochs. For the most part, I am in the former camp; after all, New Wave and post-punk were on the rise, with bands like the Talking Heads, XTC, The Smiths and New Order leading the pack and whose influences would be felt for years afterward. Alternatively, groups such as Marillion and IQ were pioneering a brand of theatrical rock that drew extensively from mid-70’s Genesis in an attempt to bring so called “progressive” rock back into popularity and prominence with the radio-listening public, a genre dubbed “neo-prog” by both adherents and detractors alike. Finally on the more mainstream side of things, glam rock/metal had taken over airwaves and is what the 80’s are remembered for most musically as a result. Still, like any decade, there were groups out there who didn't really fit any of the existing categories that people were generally aware of.

This is one such group.

In 1982, four friends from Egremont in the U.K. (Dunnery, Beck, Dalton and Nolan) would meld their respective fascinations with all these different scenes of music to form a band that would appeal to many but not sound like anyone else in particular, drenching their progressive tendencies in a collective love of soul, funk, pop & alternative music, the combinations of which would both awe and alienate critics and fans alike in ensuing years, but wouldn’t stop them; in between 1982 and '86 they would go from barely making ends meet at working men club concerts to filling venues the size of Hammersmith Odeon on word-of-mouth alone. Catchy as hell, intelligent lyrically and harder rocking than anyone could have expected, this was a band that truly deserved more exposure in a time where half-baked synths and a nice label could get you gold status in half a week.

So then ladies and gents, I humbly introduce to you one of the more underrated and talented bands of the 1980’s: welcome to the awesome discography of It Bites!

Band Members:

(1982-1990)
Francis Dunnery - guitar, lead vocals
John Beck - keyboards, backing vocals
Bob Dalton - drums, backing vocals
Dick Nolan - bass, backing vocals

(2006-???)
John Mitchell - guitar, bass & lead vocals
John Beck - keyboards, bass & backing vocals
Bob Dalton - drums, backing vocals

Discography:

* The Big Lad in the Windmill - (1986)
* Once Around the World - (1988)
* Eat Me in St Louis - (1989)
* The Tall Ships - (2008)

Final Comments:

Four rather dynamic studio releases have been wrought by this group over the course of two decades, hence there will be four reviews posted here in this thread. I feel these guys are a bit too obscure for their own good, have an interesting sound and a good story behind them, so hence this thread will be an introduction thread of sorts for those wanting to get into It Bites or learn more about the band. I will also up any of their albums for those that request them.

So read, enjoy, and if you got anything to say you're all welcome to post what ya think.

If you want an up of any of the albums I review here, PM me.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 07-14-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote