Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Lining
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
gotjuice
Rose City til I die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
There might not be a lot of prog bands "greater" than Dream Theater. But judging prog based on Dream Theater is liking judging metal based on Limp Bizkit, there's so many better prog bands out there, it just enrages me that Dream Theater get all the attention.

They're talented musicians for sure, but I think they work better with their side projects. Petrucci and Ruddess with Liquid Tension Experiment, Myung with The Jelly Jam and Portnoy for his work with LTE and Neal Morse.

They would be a lot better if they were an instrumental group. That damn vocalist ruins whatever potential they have.
I loved Labrie's vocals on I&W. But this whole growling thing he's trying to pull off on Systematic Chaos and the new record does not work for me at all. One of the reasons I can barely listen to them. And I don't think anybody in this thread was trying to put DT on any kind of progressive pedestal, but I will agree with you that DT is overhyped. That being said, they were the band that led me to a lot of the other bands that you're talking about that are lesser known, so without them my music collection would be a lot less complete.
gotjuice is offline   Reply With Quote