Music Banter - View Single Post - Nickleback
Thread: Nickleback
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #223 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Yeah actually Mr. Dave makes a great point.

To be honest I'm not sure why Nickleback takes the heat it does.
thanks

i've actually tried to get to the bottom of that 2nd comment before. it's not like the band set out to be anything besides the biggest arena rockers they could. their goal was to write hits and be famous, it's not like they were pulling a creed / scott stapp by making claims they were greater than led zeppelin and that they would make the world forget about the doors with their new album.

ultimately what came out through that old discussion is that rock music is about youth rebellion. not being famous or getting the mainstream to recognize something 'better', but about creating a soundtrack for a generation of kids that makes their older siblings and parents turn up their noses and wonder WTF are you listening to.

nickelback does nothing to accomplish this, but does everything to keep those older generations happy by fusing the most generic parts of led zeppelin and pearl jam into a easily digested package for those people who still think alternative' is an underground style. it also makes it easy to get radio play when you're pandering a proven product, ESPECIALLY with the way cancon laws work.

they're basically betraying the core essence of rock music. which isn't about entertaining you forever, but about entertaining today's kids instead. to provide them with a unique soundtrack to their adolescence while they establish their own unique cultural and generational identity. some bands will grow old with their fans (i'm looking at you PJ) while others will try re-inventing themselves to appeal to yet another generation of kids (RHCP anyone?).

although that whole thing has taken a really odd twist in the last 10 years since the net took over as the medium of choice for hearing new music. hell i remember right around the 1999/2000 mark, kids were thinking that it was 'cool' to be a corporate sellout, then again how else would you fully rebel against a generation of DIY individualists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote