Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog and Jackhammer Present: Your Introduction To Reggae
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #50 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

King Tubby - Crucial Dub (anthology, 2000)

Basically, the review's in the compilation's title. This is, as the said title suggests, crucial dub. For a start, as I mentioned in the above introductory rant, King Tubby was one of the pioneering producers of the genre. The 22 tracks which make up this anthology, while not containing samples from all areas of the man's work behind the mixing desk, do contain some essential examples of dub at its most spaced-out, laid back and riddim-heavy. The CD contains the works of folks such as Bunny Lee, Fatman and Phil Pratt, which alone makes for a fairly diverse mix of sounds all revamped by King Tubby in the archetypal dub style. This was the first dub CD I ever came across, and I couldn't have chosen a better one to get me started on the genre. Highly recommended.

Augustus Pablo - East Of the River Nile (1977)

Augustus Pablo here is another one of the early names in the music industry which is basically synonymous with dub. Pablo was basically canonised within the culture of reggae for his use of the melodica - a mouth organ of European origin (which you can see him having fun with on the sleeve cover there) - in his music. The way it seamlessly fits into the sonic picture gave this album iconic status and would influence countless acts to follow. That and the fact it was recorded in Lee Perry's legendary Black Ark Studio, mixed by the aforementioned King Tubby and had its riddims provided by the legend known as Robbie Shakespeare does a lot to give this album the reputation it has. This here is one of the universally-accepted classics of dub and therefore an absolute must given the fascinating dimensions the piercing notes of Pablo's melodica adds to proceedings.

Last edited by Bulldog; 07-13-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote