Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool - Opiate
Thread: Tool - Opiate
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizotypic View Post
I've only listened to Opiate, Undertow, and Ænema. Strangely I seem to gravitate more toward Tool's first two albums more, they just feel more solid to me. Though I love how Ænema has more of a psychedelic feel to it, it just doesn't give me that harsh direct confrontation and obvious mocking satire that makes me say "yeah, that's definitely Tool." Also it's notably more synthesized. =/
In my opinion, you should probably give the rest of the discography a listen. Ænema, to me, was the beginning of a beautiful transition for Tool. Though I love the rawness of early Tool, the undeniable growth in their music and individual albums is mind-blowing. Have you heard Lateralus or 10,000 Days yet? I sometimes feel that they can be one album together because they are both more experimental and psychedelic than previous albums. Regardless of the more melodic sounds and progressive elements, there's still an underlying "mocking satire", as you mentioned. If you check in the A Perfect Circle/Tool Thread (which annoys me because these two bands shouldn't be clumped together just because of MJK), I've posted mini-reviews and a songs from most, if not all the albums.