Music Banter - View Single Post - Fugazi
Thread: Fugazi
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #39 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbacker View Post
Strangely enough, Fugazi once counted as "emo", or at least that's the label a lot of journo hacks gave them back in the day. This was before emo = eyeliner and girl pants, and had more to do with the earnestness of the music. A lot of early-mid 80s harDCore bands got tagged that, with Rites of Spring being the first (I think).

Anyway, Fugazi were the first show I ever saw when I moved to D.C. 17 years ago, fitting considering what an institution they are. Totally love them and I don't think they've released a bona fide dud (admittedly, my least favorite album is probably End Hits). If they never record again, The Argument was about as high of a note to end on.

And bardonodude is right, he just has it backwards. (It's more reggae/dub-infused punk rock. Just check the rhythm on "Waiting Room" among others.)
Word.
I saw a few $5 Fugazi shows in DC in the early 90s. Maybe I just wasn't up on my underground rock journalism - but I had never heard of Emo and I'm willing to bet that most of the audiences hadn't either. It was all about DIY punk rock, Positive Force, Food Not Bombs and all that.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote