Music Banter - View Single Post - yet another newbie seeks acceptance into mb
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgos View Post
The fact that people consider Beefhearts music ridiculous only increases the appeal of it for me.
same here

[QUOTE=morgos;704625] He definitely is awesome.[/quopte]
I saw Captain Beefhearts' name couple times in guitar magazines, so when I saw a greatest hits in the discount section I picked it up. One of my favorite albums,

Quote:
I do have a Wes Montgomery album, I never really absorbed it though. Probably deserves another listen.
One way of understanding Wes Montegomery is by dividing his career into sections. He first started out as a guitarist in a big band who strictly playing Charlie Christian. He played for Riverside, Verve, and then A&M. Every label has its own style, it's up to you to decide wether or not what style you like, eg Cool Jazz, or his later Pop style, but either way he is worth getting into.

Quote:
His autobiography is a fantastic book. A lot of the speeches he gave were pretty hilarious/awesome. One of my favorite parts is when he's talking about all the ****ty experiences he had with different orchestras.
I was amazed how he stoled a professional xylophonist from orchesrta. Or using a strobe tuner on stage so he could splice the best parts in the studio later. It's not hilarious stuff but it adds to he eccentricity I guess.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote