Music Banter - View Single Post - Young Despite the Years - Continuing Sonic Explorations by Your Friend Rickenbacker
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rickenbacker
/

Default Young Despite the Years - Continuing Sonic Explorations by Your Friend Rickenbacker

Some time in June, 1995.

My musical journey began then, in a moderately sized apartment in Connecticut. But that's not important just yet.

First let's introduce the family, by whom the seeds of some sort of musical taste were planted in me some years ago.

My dad, Michael, is a professor of pediatric infectious diseases at Yale, the head of Yale President Rick Levin's World Fellows Program there, and an all around cool guy. Eternally an 80s college student and alternative rock hipster, this fellow introduced me to what became the basis of my musical tastes for years and years, notably R.E.M., Talking Heads, Joy Division, The Clash, The Velvet Underground, X, Paul Weller/the Jam/the Style Council, etc.

Subsequently, he is also a jazz man, and introduced me to many of the jazz greats before my guitar teacher further explicated jazz.

My mom, Kerry, works as the development director of something that I don't understand fully. She's a bit too happy for her, or rather, my own good, so naturally she introduced me to the music she had always been fond of; U2, Everything But the Girl, Van Morrison, 10,000 Maniacs, and Dave Matthews Band, as whatever she heard once that she liked, she would have on constant rotation for weeks. 2000 was especially brutal; having to hear "Beautiful Day" every damn time I was in the car at least twice. But hey, what can you do.

My Grandfather, Peter, is strictly a classical and jazz music aficionado. His multiple full walls of CDs and ridiculously expensive stereo system speak volumes to that effect.

Finally, my Cousin Thomas is one of the coolest guys you will probably never meet. An accomplished multi-instrumentalist and singer, this guy is really just the man. I encourage you to check out his free podcast in which he features some of his tunes (Search Tom Villalon). As an active musician, he comes across a lot of artists who few know about, and then relays them back to me. Great dude. Really great dude. Also notable

With this fairly eclectic background, it was easy to grow my tastes. As a guitarist and then a pianist, I was exposed to blues music as well, and currently I'm focusing on expanding my jazz repetoire as I delve further into guitar music theory. It's a continuing exploration for all of us, music. This can be a bit of a chronicle.

Anyway, that's me and some of my music. I just thought I'd make this thread as a way to communicate with Music Banter my thoughts on all music I listen to, be it an old favorite or a new future classic. Don't expect order. Expect more of a dumping ground.

My last.fm is, as always, in my signature if you want a better look at my tastes.

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 07-16-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote