Music Banter - View Single Post - Icons
Thread: Icons
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Bill Laswell

There are few musicians who I know of for whom I can say, without a doubt, have tried almost everything, and Bill Laswell is one of them. Born from the cauldrons of the underground New York Scene, Laswell has swept nearly every genre. Yet in all this, he remains relatively unknown in comparison to his output, which is so ridiculously large, I may as well just link it instead.

As a musician, Laswell is a bassist, his style primarily created from funk and jazz. Although he began as a small time bar musician in Detroit, his move to New York signaled drastic steps forward in his development, as bassist in bands such as avant-jazz-rock band Curlew and his own personal project/band (HIs most famous as well probably) in Material. From these stepping stones he has led a life in music that all musicians SHOULD be jealous of. He got to do what he wanted on his terms.

Along with John Zorn he was also a key factor in the development of Buckethead in terms of constructing his music. The pair have been good friends, with Buckethead being a lynchpin in yet another project of Laswell's, Praxis, as well as the short lived Arcana. Buckethead also regularly performs in Laswell's projects, whether they be Dub, DnB, Funk, Jazz or Rock. Some other well known projects include Massacre and Last Exit.

Personally, I was introduced to Laswell via Arcana, and I never looked back. I kept on finding projects and bands I loved in similar genres only to find Laswell was again a key player. Sometimes the people YOU think deserve recognition don't get it. I know his stuff isn't the most well known, nor popular, nor will it ever be, but IMO it deserves to be recognised, even if not hailed. Laswell is probably one of the few musical icons I have for his experimentation and diversity, rather than simply be a musician/band I like deeply. In my opinion, the idea of 'respect' in music in general is a fallacy. Music is there to be enjoyed, not respected or idealised (Sorry Beatles fans ). However, I can say without a doubt that I respect Bill Laswell. Chances are he won't get through to any special 'gallery' or win a poll, but that really doesn't matter.

Even if he does always wear a ridiculously dodgy looking hat/beanie/beret.

I generally have avoided reviewing his albums after doing three in a row in my journal, but will link you to those anyway.
Last Exit (87)
Arcana (Buckethead fan's should check this out)
Method Of Defiance

Last edited by Zarko; 10-19-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote