Music Banter - View Single Post - Guy's Gallivant Into Music
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Default Weekly Albums #2

Album: 1. Dire Straits – On Every Street
Year: 1991
Genre: Rock

Although most people recognise Dire Straits with ‘Sultans of Swing’ or “Brothers in Arms,’ the fairly under-appreciated final album is definitely one for the music collection. Mark Knopfler is as always on top form, his slick riffs and laid-back vocals are a mainstay throughout his career and this album was no exception. The band supported him well in creating some really chilled songs which are great to hear anytime of day. The only draw back to this album is knowing that when it is finished, there are no more Dire Straits albums waiting in the pipeline.

Highlight: On Every Street

Album: 2. Annihilator – Alice In Hell
Year: 1989
Genre: Thrash Metal

When people hear thrash metal, we automatically think: Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeath, me included. Although they are the 4 major bands, thrash metal evolved all over the planet from far-off Germany to Brazil. Canadian band ‘Annihilator’ released this, their debut album, in 1989 and to this day it is regarded as a great album for thrash metal. Now you don’t just want some dude shredding all day with no proficiency, lots of people can play fast, but the guitar work on this album is amazing. It is lightning-quick, in-your face and technical as all hell. Mixed in with the odd high-pitched squeal and the occurrence of a classical guitar, it makes for great listening. ‘Alice in Hell,’ is definitely a good album for anyone wanting to explore thrash metal a bit with no prior knowledge of it.

Highlight: Alison Hell

Album: 3. Burning Spear - Farover
Year: 1982
Genre: Roots Reggae

My first delve into reggae started just over a month ago, thanks to the sticky in the Reaggae/Ska section of MB, and was it a great decision? Hell yes. Although this album was not on the lists of essential albums, it was the only one of Burning Spear’s albums I could come across. Heavily influenced by Marcus Garvey (Title of his most well known album) and a certain Bob Marley, you are guaranteed for an album full of passion, determination, and various other emotions which depend on the listeners interpretations. (Definitely worth reading up on both of those men) The passion behind his music and the message he is trying to get across is a great feat in itself, along with some catchy rhythms, deep Jamaican chants and a cd player, you are set for a treat. Another great trait of this album, and most reggae is that it depends on how you interpret the music, do you feel pity for the people? Do you praise them for standing up for what they believe is right? Do you not look any further than the actual beat itself? It is up to you…

Highlight: Farover

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote