Music Banter - View Single Post - Young Despite the Years - Continuing Sonic Explorations by Your Friend Rickenbacker
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rickenbacker
/

Interesting points, but perhaps the idea of happiness as a lesser force in the creation of great art is misguided? It seems to me that we only hear and thus think about the art created by people in emotional or physical distress, along the lines of Joy Division, or as the bi-product of rebellion a la the Clash. However, maybe the idea of happiness creating great art isn't implausible, just never thought about. I'd point to a song like Waterloo Sunset, a great song by all means, and certainly not one written in sadness. I might just be thinking to myself and not making any sense.

My musical relationship with my parents has become interesting in the past few years as I've matured (slightly). As an essential conglomerate of their tastes, plus a lot of other stuff, I'm always asked to put on music for dinner parties and the like, you know, make a little playlist. I'll be talking to my dad about a song or artist that I recently got into, and he'll tell me how he loved them in college etc, and of course then I ask him why he didn't introduce me to them earlier. It's a good dynamic, being able to talk to someone (in real life) about music. Afternoons on the patio listening to a good record with a friend are really something special that everyone deserves to experience.
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote