Music Banter - View Single Post - July's Jaunty Jammy Jovial Compilation
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #88 (permalink)
Muzak
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
So you're the elusive Devin Townsend fan, good to know
Well I only have Ki right now but I am a huge Strapping Young Lad fan and hope to check out the rest of his solo work soon.

1. Eight Frozen Modules-Echo Youth

I guess this is like a mix of Dancehall with electronica. The synths are pretty catchy and the vocals work great with the rhythm section

2. The Pop Group-She Is Beyond Good And Evil

The rhythms are rather jarring but they work pretty well. The dub echos are a nice touch.

3. KMFDM-WWWIII

I knew before that KMFDM is well known in industrial circles so the opening blues guitar part took my by surprise but its pretty neat. Once the rest of the song comes it, it has a nice fast tempo and distorted vocals. Reminds me of metal era Ministry.

4. The Brogues-I Aint No Miracle Worker

Verses are ok ... the chorus is sweet when it drops down the instruments and the vocals whiper, then builds up again. Not so sure about the solo.

5. Devin Townsend-Coast

6. She & Him-Why Don't You Let Me Stay Here?

I have a hard time getting into indie rock so I didn't really feel for this track. I didn't really notice anything remarkable about this track.

7. Sisters Of Mercy-Lucretia My Reflection

Reminds me of the Pixies with the bassline and drums. Pretty ok chorus but the keys help alot. I give this a thumbs up.

8. Frost*-Snowman

A catchy and familiar chord progression, very nice. The vocals I like as well. Solid track.

9. Los Lobos-Our Night

Its like a country track? I like the vocals but I am not much into country.

10.El Ten Eleven-Thinking Lonely

A nice a chill track. The use of acoustic guitars mixed with the distorted guitars later (I think its a guitar?!) works well!

11.Dead Can Dance-Black Sun

Very weird track but I like it. The consistent rhythm is really catchy and allows one to take in the random parts that come in easily. I like it!

12. Ali Farka Toure-Ai Du

Its pretty good but it doesn't really hold my interest for long.

13.Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution-Here's To Life

Classic song, while the Streetlight versions will always be superior to me, the Band ones are still great.

14.Buffalo Killers-Let It Ride

Not really into this one. The vocals are rather grating to me.

15.Gong-The Isle Of Everywhere

Not bad! Good funky bassline and spaced out structure. The sax solo has that nice laid back jazz style but has some intense licks the pop up with each phrase. I liked this one alot.

16.Gotye-Out Of My Mind

some nice Dub with some sweet vocals. I am really liking this one!
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote