Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beach Boys
Thread: The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #152 (permalink)
williamjaba
Groupie

Default The Beach Boys

I didnt know whether this should go here but...

Anyhoo, the Beach Boys are in my opinion one of the greatest bands of all time, and at their best they can easily compare to anyone else, even the Beatles. Pet Sounds is regarded by many as the greatest album of all time (having topped countless polls including rolling stones and mojos) and SMiLE is regarded as the holy grail of music - the greatest album that never was.

But people often forget that there is more to the Beach Boys than Pet Sounds and Smile. Obviously they had a string of groundbreaking and well known singles (I get around, California girls, good vibrations etc) but they also released some classic albums. Sunflower and Today are thought by many to be as good as Pet Sounds, and All Summer Long is undoubtably THE summer pop album. And there 70's career holds up a lot better than most other 60's bands, with albums like Friends and Love you now being cult classics.

There impact on modern music is also often overlooked. For example they were one of the main influences on the Ramones (who later covered Beach Boy songs like Surfin Safari) and indeed they share many similarities with that band. Simple 2 minute pop songs with a fast beat and catchy energy. They also influenced everyone from the Shins, to the Arctic Monkeys.

So, what are your opinions on this band? favourite songs? favourite albums? best band of the 60's? best band of all time?
williamjaba is offline   Reply With Quote