Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #368 (permalink)
half drag
Music Addict

A. Agree, the lyrics,

B. To me from note 1, even the spoken work intro, of track 1 "Yes", I was pulled in. A nice melodic but punchy yet laid-in-the-groove linear guitar line over a nice rhythm, with an odd beat in the phrase to boot, leading into a nice melodic verse and what's he singing?! Then kicks in the bridge with the added energy, still in the pocket, and the lyrics... Then the little bass lick leading into the chorus/refrain with the run-on lyrics over the six rising chords over the pedal tone. The tune's structure just rises. To me it's a great song structure and a great original sounding song. Ends with the siren guitar lick fade out. Just a great, great track to kick off the LP IMO.

C. Track 2 to me also just has a great structure. And that's really what I think is so strong throughout the LP. Great linear guitar parts littered throughout multiple sections of each song. The arrangements are great: just the drums, bass and multi-tracks guitars. A lot of angular sounding parts with inverted sounding lines shifting to three-time, three-over-two, etc.

D. Stand-out tracks like Yes, Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruth..., She's Suffering, 4 lb 7 stone, This is Yesterday...

E. Great performances from the players and the vocalist, with agreeable straight-ahead production values. No complaints there.

Not an overrated album at all IMO.
half drag is offline   Reply With Quote