Music Banter - View Single Post - What Makes A Good First Person Shooter: A Series
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #62 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
it's nothing revolutionary, but it changes the outlook of a first person shooter and aligns it more towards something that qualifies as an ongoing story (like Half Life) rather than a game that just serves as a reason to warm your trigger finger.

most of what i enjoyed about the game had nothing to do with it being a FPS, from the puzzles to the hunts & everything in between. the storyline was pretty good and the goals and achievements you can get are pretty amusing.

i didn't initially find it anything spectacular about it until i started playing the game myself, when i noticed how different it was from the usual shoot-em-up tactical MMO bullshit that permeates the gaming world today.
fair enough. i guess what turned me off was the claims of it being a spiritual successor to the system shock series. which was awesome to me for the same reasons you list but about 10 years ago hehe. only instead of being a successor it struck me as a simplified re-hash.

the biggest turn off for me was the fact that it played out in stages (at least early on). you beat level 1 then moved onto level 2. that never applied to the SS series. it wasn't a total open world game like GTA but it wasn't just a series of stages either. i never got the impression bioshock strayed from that method, or does it open up later in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote