Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Guitar 101
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
rob - midgar
Groupie

Agree on the branding bias front. I've been playing for just under 20 years now and have been through a whole bunch of budget to pro guitars. Where a lot of people are anti squier and epiphone, then don't really understand that you're getting mostly the same instrument, built with largely comparable materials but in countries where the labour is so much cheaper.

I used to play an squier as a boy, the intonation was a bit off, but I was too young to adjust it - I learned my technique on that and a Jackson PS2 (which again was strat-like but with different pickups again). I now play a Parkery Niteflym - as its gorgeous to play, and is about half the weight of a Les Paul - so perfect for moving around the stage with!

Also, will add that I believe your tone is mostly down to two things - your technique/ability, and your amp. I've heard a cheap squier played through an Orange Thunderverb head on tour, and it sounded gorgeous - the guitars are made to a standard, unless you spend sub 100 pounds here, you should be able to aquire an acceptable sounding and playing instrument. In the same way, I sometimes play my Parker through an old Line6 combo and the sound is barely acceptable (Im due an amp upgrade!)...
rob - midgar is offline   Reply With Quote