Music Banter - View Single Post - Ramones vs. The Clash
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #144 (permalink)
half drag
Music Addict

The Clash.

The Ramones are good and fun once and a while but the Clash are a mainstay to go back to repeatedly and often. The Clash's first four albums/EP's (The Clash, Give Enough Rope, Black Market Clash and London Calling) sealed the band's legacy as legendary. I grew up with that sh*t. Later on I've learned to appreciate and enjoy Sandinista and Combat Rock too. Those albums add to and enhance the legacy as the band's soundscape expanded and grew more diverse. (I even like some of Cut the Crap though you can't exactly consider that a real Clash album. And Joe's and Mick's later projects are worthy too.)

The Ramones' sound evolved over time too but they are not as consistently mind-blowing or awesome by any stretch. They got some fun stuff though for sure.

As for the Pistols, look you gotta remember these were some barely-older-than-teenage kids making music for angst-ridden teenagers at the time. And they didn't do it for long and they only have that little bit they created to show. And for that they did what they needed to do. When I was 17 NMTB's was on heavy rotation for a while and I still think it has a certain great raw energy sound that sounds great played loud, etc.