Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Top 30 Albums: * Free Booze inside *
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

30. That Handsome Devil - A City Dressed In Dynamite (2008)

When something comes along that combines the best elements of hip-hop, house, swing jazz, blues and 1950's rock n' roll into one tightly rolled up package, I sit up and pay the fuck attention. Like a real classic, it feels as if were something from both the here, the now and the future simultaneously. Consistant, diverse, and never lacking in quality, sometimes it steams high and sometimes it cooks itself to a simmering boil below MC Godforbid's mischevious croons and screams, but no matter what they're doing you can bet That Handsome Devil are going to break your reading glasses and eat them all up with shiny Bo Diddley-stamped golden dentures. Great for parties!

Track Highlights: Rob The Prez-O-Dent, Kiss The Cook, Wintergreen

29. Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation (1973)

Everyone's got a Zappa album that they at-least somewhat enjoy, and for a jazz-rock freak like myself I've always thought he was at his best here. Whether its rocking its ass off on 'Zomby Woof' or swingin' silly with "I'm the Slime", I'm never in want of entertainment. Basically: Great man+great dynamics+humor= awesome, and that's really all there is to say.

Track Highlights: I'm the Slime, Zomby Woof, Fifty-Fifty

28. Matmos - The Rose Has Teeth In the Mouth of the Beast (2006)

Among the various insane electronic duos doing music out there, Matmos are among the maddest and coolest around. Combining their freakish art-pop tendencies with glitch and heavy bass, they grind their samples down and build them from the ground up to deadly effect. It was here where they began experimenting with jazz and drone though, and it adds dimensions to the already steller sound which got me hooked in the first place. Overall, my favorite work by them, and worth a look to anyone who is savvy on trip-hop or weird house music.

Track Highlights: Public Sex For Boyd McDonald, Snails And Lasers For Patricia Highsmith

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 07-24-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote