Music Banter - View Single Post - Flying Lotus
Thread: Flying Lotus
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Loots View Post
It is an interesting album, to be sure, but if it is trip hop, or a kind of ambient hip-hop, how does it compare to, say, Massive Attack? (Certain of the stylistic traits on 'Los Angeles' seem to allude directly to an album like 'Protection', I think, so I feel that such a comparison is justified.)
There are really two schools of thought when it comes to trip-hop. One is the Bristol-based stuff like Massive Attack and Portishead (that I'm not all that familiar with), and the other is a warmer feeling combination of electronic and hip-hop, or for lack of better words, instrumental hip-hop. I'm more into the later, and personally identify it producer-based hip-hop (often glitchy and IDM-influenced) that occasionally has guest hip-hop vocals or vocal samples. DJ Shadow, Prefuse 73, DJ Vadim, and the legions of artists that came after that. There was always glitch involved in the genre, at least in the second school I mentioned, but the term glitch-hop came about (talking of Flying Lotus, edIT, etc) as the glitches came more into focus rather than just being a detail of the sound. To me it's still trip-hop, as it was always there.

Last edited by sidewinder; 07-25-2009 at 09:05 PM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote