Music Banter - View Single Post - This I Believe There is / is not a God
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #159 (permalink)
streetwaves
Music Addict

Quote:
what sort of evidence do you expect God to leave behind? it's like you're looking for God's signature in the world, when the world is God's signature.
a sort of cop-out i think, considering the existence of everything does not necessitate the conclusion of a god existing. to combat this, a scientist may argue that the universe looks exactly as it would without a god.

Quote:
as Leibniz put it: "why is there something rather than nothing?"
a question we've all at one point wondered, but not a warranted one in my opinion. the idea of nothing existing is entirely human imagination at work. from our perspective, it would seem that things are coming into and going out of existence everyday. because of this we can imagine nothing existing, but based on a flawed premise. i've argued this way before, but while we see what appears to be things going in and out of existence, nothing truly has. if only we had a firmer grasp of this reality, questions like the one from liebniz or questions of "creation" would look increasingly more absurd in my opinion. by the way, isn't the existence of nothing a self-refuting idea? it seems to me that it is.

Quote:
why do things want to exist? is it really that subjectivity is a phenomena of objects (what does that even mean?) or is it rather that objects (the very idea of an object) is a phenomena of subjectivity? everyone seems to start from what they don't know (ie, what they've been taught--science) rather from what they do know... emotions, interpersonal relationships, desire--for meaning, companionship, reward for overcoming urges that set us against others... why isn't all that evidence? basically what people seem to be looking for when they demand evidence of god's existence is a miracle, that is, they expect God to undo the logic of his own creation. why would he do that? because you want him to? the entire atheistic attitude towards God is entirely backwards, which is why they have a hard time understanding Christian arguments.
not sure how you come to the conclusion that "emotions, interpersonal relationships, desire--for meaning, companionship, reward for overcoming urges that set us against others" can only exist with god. it seems to me you're merely begging the question.

Last edited by streetwaves; 07-26-2009 at 10:05 AM.
streetwaves is offline   Reply With Quote