Music Banter - View Single Post - 200 greatest guitarists in rock
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #615 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Despite being a big DT fan myself, I totally agree with the above statement in that Radiohead are seen as Art Rock as opposed to Prog and lets face it, listening to Radiohead is really what prog Rock should all be about as Radiohead are extremely progressive and constantly seek to evolve.
Speaking of art rock, there really wasn't much distinguishing the two terms back in the 70s. It was used to describe Genesis just as often as it was used to describe Roxy Music.

If OK Computer and Kid A were released in the 70s they would undeniably be considered prog albums.

But now of course prog is a term used to describe bands that take obvious influence from other prog bands. So it's very common to see a bunch of tards saying "Radiohead are not prog, I can't hear any Yes or Genesis influences at all".

Quote:
Whereas DT, are very much a combination of some of my favourite prog/rock bands of the 70's and 80's. 50% of their music sounds like Kansas in their prog era and the other 50% a combination of Rush with elements of Toto, all this mixed in with a metal feel supposedly equals Progressive Metal.
That's a pretty good description, though I love Rush, they're an obvious inlfluence on Dream Theater. But overall DT do remind me more of Kansas and Toto with a metal twist.

I don't consider Toto to be much of a prog band actually. In the late 70s you had arena rock bands like Journey and Toto embracing some prog influences but when these bands get lumped into the same category it's quite embarassing.

I think of bands like Kansas and Styx as being lite prog or commercial prog, a combination of prog and arena rock. And yes, DT reminds me a lot more of Kansas and Styx than they do King Crimson and Yes. And the saddest part is...

Kansas and Styx are still way better.

Quote:
In fact the metal aspect to their music is probably the only really progressive thing in their music but then again they are not an metal group, so the progressive metal label could be seen as being totally inaccurate.
Heh if anything progressive metal is more metal than it is prog. At least in my opinion.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote