Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #3695 (permalink)
half drag
Music Addict

The End of the Road: The Final Tour '95 (1995)

Here's the review I posted on Netflix:

The majority of the film is generally boring. It covers the last couple tours of the Dead (Spring and Summer 95) from the perspective of the fans outside the shows. No concert footage whatsoever, no Grateful Dead music, no appearances by the band members. It covers some of the troubles the band and the fans had going on during that time such as gate crashing and a general losing of its way by the scene. However when it gets around to the part about when Jerry died, the film actually becomes quite beautiful. I appreciate the opportunity to hear what Merl Saunders had to say about Jerry's passing, to see some of the coverage of the ceremonies at Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park, and to hear what Jerrys daughter Annabelle, Wavy Gravy and the rest of the boys had to say on stage with Babatunde Olitunji and the Family. I was part of the Family back then and did not get to go to the celebrations but my bro did, and I remember what it was like back then and where I was and how I felt, and it is good to remember. I cant say the spirit has been kept alive to the extent it should and this film provided a good reminder to better make that effort. Im going to keep it on my list and Ill watch at least the last half hour again in the future. Peace. And R.I.P. Jerry - thanks for good times past, present and future.
half drag is offline   Reply With Quote