Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Country Albums
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1975 View Post
No Other - Gene Clark (1974)

In my top 25 of all time.

Classic
Oh really, I had never heard of Gene Clark before but I'll look into it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I will say with all sincerity that Country music has always been associated with a certain image and in Britain especially it barely gets the time of day. This is probably because that if Country does make it's way through the musical barriers then it will ostensibly be watered down 2 nd rate crap A la Garth Brooks or Dolly Partons tits!

However, I have been doing my own digging into the genre over the past year or so and have found a rich and diverse genre of music that while it's not neccessarily conducive to myself, I have still come to appreciate many artists and albums.

Some of my picks may not even fall into the category, for which I apologise:

Alison Krauss & Union Station-Lonely Runs Both Ways
Dixie Chicks-Home
Dwight Yoakam- Best Of
Great Lake Swimmers-Lost Channels
Jim White-Wrong Eyed Jesus
Lambchop-OH(ohio)
Lucero-Tennesee
William Eliott Whitmore-Animals In The Dark
I see what you mean, Jackhammer. Well, I will try to do my best to get you into some of these old classic country boys so you can spread the good word around Britain for me! I hope I havent scared you off with Johnny Paycheck though! haha. I recognize the first three on your list, though, honestly, I'm not crazy about them. Still need to look into the others, you have me very curious about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Personally, I couldn't recommend the Byrds' Sweetheart Of the Rodeo enough to anyone who's yet to get into classic country - it's the first such album that truly clicked with me anyway.

Had a listen to Mama Tried the other day FC - I liked what I heard but I can't find this album anywhere though (as I'd expected), so I got some best of other I found instead.

Looking forward to your next review
Feel free to do a review over the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo if you want to. I absolutly love the Byrds, but actually much more familiar with their hippie-er albums. Thanks for mentioning it because after I get off here, I'm gonna go check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Classic Country music is easily one of the most overlooked genres within these boards.

I'm certain this thread will be a wonderful edition to the site, I always loved the complete lack of expression on the faces of classic country artists like Haggard, Conway Twitty or George Jones.

I spent a lot of time listening to Country Music in the early ninties and still have a little affection left for it.
hahaha! I know! Boy they aren't the easiest to look at either. Especially George Jones. Did you know he had the nickname "possum"? I heard on the news the other day that Conway Twitty broke his hip when he was performing on stage in Branson. I didn't even know the poor guy was still alive. But anyway, glad to hear you have an interest in this type of music. I've been racking my brain as to which album I'm going to review next.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote