Music Banter - View Single Post - Drugs
Thread: Drugs
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I kind of get the feeling that this kid isn't mature enough to view it the way you're viewing it.

Again, I'm not looking at it in the perspective of "topics".
I guess the easiest way to understand where I'm coming from is to put yourself in a parental role for the kid and ask yourself whether his writing style is more important than his apparent issues. If you were his parent, how much assumption would you let yourself indulge in until you decided to act on your instinct just to be sure.

I know you're not his parent, but I'm just trying to get you to understand what my point is.

But it doesn't matter.
We're not his parents. We get to assume he's perfectly fine... but just really bad at writing.

Yes, if my child came to me writing these lyrics, I would act on my fears right away and check to see if the child is depressed, using drugs, etc. What I don't understand, though, is this: if you were unnerved by the apparent issues behind the song (drug use, a sense of life as hell), what would be the reason for turning the lyrics into sport?

Yes, there were some grammar errors in "Drugs," which I corrected, but I don't agree with the notion that creative writing can be classified as bad or good. There are certainly songs and lyrics that I like much better than others--for example, I like songs that reveal the intensity of focused concentration on the part of the author, because those songs let me feel like I am getting to experience someone else's mind beyond my own. And, I like songs that relate somehow to historical trends, even if it is just to break them. This doesn't mean the songs I like are good or bad...it just means that *I* like them. My goal in critiquing a song such as Tanner99's is to try to help that person create the song s/he wants. (Only occasionally do I gush about someone's song.)
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote