Music Banter - View Single Post - Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. & The Cambridge Police
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
IamAlejo
Muck Fusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I don't think he's a racist, just a typical ******* cop. Does that mean he was in the right? NO. But what he did wrong had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with not knowing the limits of his authority and not recognizing the rights of an American home owner. This cop arrested this guy in his own home, for saying something about his momma. I would be pissed too, but that doesn't mean you can arrest some guy when you're in HIS HOME, with no warrant, and after your probable cause has been dismissed. They didn't have the right to be there at the time, they had already established that no laws had been broken, yet insisted on hassling the guy. But instead of standing there spouting "yes, sir." over and over again, he stood up for himself and told them to get out, he hadn't done anything wrong. The officer didn't take kindly to that, and obviously felt the need to flex his police muscle.

Like I said, I don't think it's a case of racism, just very very very bad police work. Not unlike what we see in the media, and in our everyday lives. Not that cops are bad, they do a great service, but the certain bad seeds ruin the image, and the police departments not making an example out of these sort of cases is not helping the situation.
He actually arrested him outside his home after Gates followed him outside and continued his verbal crusade.