Music Banter - View Single Post - Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. & The Cambridge Police
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo View Post
Wow you really had to weasel your way into having it say that. The officer stated he was leaving and that if Gates had anymore questions he would continue the conversation with him outside the residence. Then was warned twice to calm down before being arrested on the third.

This is a case of an upper crust elitist having to respond to a middle class working person, going tilt and then reaching into the grab bag and pulling out the race card. As an esteemed professor of African history and a PhD in African American Studies, he knew this was a sure fire way to garner Pavlovian support by people who would not be interested in the facts of a case, but would react predictably given the correct stimulus. Even a man as politically astute and smart as our President was lured down that road, until he learned the facts and quickly backed away.

You'd be best to follow the President's lead.
Weasel huh? How is that weaseling anything when it's almost word for word, without changing the context of the statement? You don't believe that the thought of bringing the upset man outside would give him a legit excuse to make an arrest ever crossed his mind?

Why would he say he had the man identified, then proceed to say "keep the cars coming, and notify Harvard University Authorities" if he already had dismissed the possibility of a crime? I agree with you 100% that he didn't have the right to pull the race card and consider it a low blow myself. As stated in my first post, I don't believe this is an issue of racism, just bad police work. If you can't handle a simple misunderstanding without taking an innocent man to jail on a charge that has no defined boundaries then how are you a legitimate cop? I'm not saying that the home owner is a saint either, he definately acted inappropriately, but does that warrant an arrest?

Btw, the president never apologized. Only stated that he should have worded his statement differently. Hope I'm not weaseling by quoting someone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote