Music Banter - View Single Post - One hundred albums of solitude
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

Magic Sam - West Side Soul

Track listing:

That's All I Need
I Need You So Bad
I Feel So Good (I Wanna Boogie)
All Your Love
I Don't Want No Woman
Sweet Home Chicago
I Found a New Love
Every Night and Every Day
Lookin' Good
My Love Will Never Die
Mama Mama Talk to Your Daughter
I Don't Want No Woman

Alright, let me start out by saying that blues is one of oldest joys. I'm not going to go into the complex relationship between the blues and me, mainly because I could talk about it for the rest of my life, but also because it is not necessarily vital when talking about one of the greatest electric blues albums ever recorded. What I will say is that given where and how I grew up, the blues and I were destined for each other since the day I was born. I've listened to so many different styles and traveled to so many different regional hotspots that I have a hard time deciding what I like and what I love. If I was pressured into saying which group of artists I like the most, however, the answer would almost certainly be the masters of the Mississippi Delta blues. If Chicago is what put blues on the map in terms of widespread recognition and popularity, then it is the Mississippi Delta that paved the way for it to do so. This particular album is one of only two that Samuel "Magic Sam" Gene Maghett, who was born in Grenada, Mississippi, ever recorded. To me, it is a paragon of the shift from traditional Delta blues to the electrified Chicago sound.

Now, when I talk to the blues enthusiasts I've known since I was a young child our conversations usually revolve around the current state of blues, which is unfortunately dismal in many people's minds, as well as some of our old favorites. Both Magic Sam's influence on future generations and the importance of "West Side Soul" are two of my favorite topics of discussion. The fact that Magic Sam is overshadowed by some of his better-known contemporaries, such as Otis Rush and Buddy Guy, does not diminish the fact that he was one of the greatest showmen ever. His distinct singing style and wild on-stage antics were well known throughout Chicago, and led to him becoming one of the most popular acts. Not having the technical skill as a B.B. King nor the flamboyance of a Bo Diddley, Magic Sam relied on pouring every ounce of his soul into his songs and produced some of the most heartfelt performances of his day.

"West Side Soul" is an album that is all Magic Sam. One of the benefits of Sam's sound was that it was instantly recognizable. No one could reproduce the harmonic tones and sweet licks of Sam's guitar work, and it was this divergence from the typical 12 bar blues that gave him his popularity. It has been said that "West Side Soul", along with a few other seminal albums, is responsible for ushering a new era of blues in Chicago. Indeed, much of the Chicago sound owes itself to Magic Sam's energetic musical stylings.

At first listen, "That's All I Need" provides a great introduction to Magic Sam. Only :30 seconds in and you're bombarded by an absolutely intense wail.

When I first met you, you looked so fine
I said pretty baby, oh yes I did, I'm gonna make you mine
Just give me love, OOOOOOOOOOOOHOHOOO give me loooooove, that's all I need

Yes, this is how Magic Sam sings, and yes, this is why he is one of my favorite musicians. He's always maintaining that swinging guitar to accompany his sweetly soulful voice. The lyrics are inventive and grand, reminiscent of the way things were in blues's heyday. You're instantly transported to the wild 60's and there's nothing you can do about it.

To supplement more traditional blues fans, and to show how versatile he is, Sam switches from euphoric soul to ragtime Chicago blues. Imagine being in a blues bar on a cool night after a sweltering Midwestern day, and a 20 year old kid strolls in and blows you away with bittersweet guitar licks and a booming voice. This is what "I Need You So Bad" sounds like. What's even more impressive is that Magic Sam was able to write and perform the blues without having a severe drug habit, and without being an alcoholic, and that's what set him apart. His love for performing and love for the guitar is legendary, and he serves as a perfect role model for guitar players worldwide.

"I Feel So Good (I Wanna Boogie)" was one of Sam's earliest hits, and it's easy to see why even on the recording.

Sam's face-melting bellows and bluegrassish riffs are indicative of just how amazing this man was. Touring Europe and the U.K. before he even had a recording out, Magic Sam was the type of performer people came from miles around to see. "I Feel So Good (I Wanna Boogie)" is my favorite track on this entire album. I love the way it sounds and the way it makes you feel like jumping up and dancing all night long.

"All Of Your Love" gives you the chills as it socks you in the gut. Sam's guitar playing really shines in this song, showing that those of us who play without picks are just as valid as those who do.

I really don't see why Magic Sam isn't one of the most popular bluesmen in the world. He was just as inventive and talented as Muddy, the Wolf, or Buddy ever were.

"I Don't Want No Woman" is another one of my favorite blues songs. Sam's grudge against the lesser gender is wonderfully exhibited through his outlandish lyrics and meaningful gripes. This song is a perfect embodiment of the Chicago style, with its seamless blend of soul, blues, country, and bluegrass. I'd give anything to have seen this song live, especially during Sam's day.

You used to boss your men, now that I won't oblige
Before I let you boss me I'll LAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down and die,
I don't want no woman, tellin' me how to live my life
Yes I'm gonna leave ya darlin', because I don't want no wife

With lyrics like these, "I Don't Want No Woman" is a song that all guys can relate to.

Next is "Sweet Home Chicago", and Magic Sam does this song justice by recording one of the best versions since Robert Johnson's original. "I Found A New Love" is Sam's best lyrical effort yet.

So now if you hear me baby,
Make sure you understand
I found this wonderful woman, and you can have your selfish man,
Because I love my new love, she makes me feel so gay
But I really don't mind it, because I like to feel this way

"Every Night and Every Day" is one of my favorite love songs of all time, which may surprise some because of my knowledge of soul and the fact that it's on a blues album. Sam's voice fluctuates between old black fieldworker and slick, big city performer flawlessly. Sam's awesome licks really make this song go from good to great, and remind me of B.B. King's style.

"Lookin' Good" is a driving song if I ever heard one. The type of music usually reserved for dance halls and hoedowns is channeled by Sam is this rootsy instrumental. "My Love Will Never Die" follows in the footsteps of "Every Night and Every Day" in terms of lyrics, but the music is way different. Sam's experimental rhythm and chord progressions give this song a different feel than the rest of the album. Darker and more eccentric, it's a proto-soul classic.

"Mama Mama, Talk To Your Daughter" has a great rhythm and progression. The standard 12 bar blues is masterfully used by Sam in this song about a rogue girlfriend that's plagued him.

"West Side Soul" is part of this list for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the amazing Magic Sam's vocals. Without his influence, blues isn't anywhere near where it's at today in terms of popularity and style.

Last edited by anticipation; 07-29-2009 at 11:56 AM.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote