Music Banter - View Single Post - Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. & The Cambridge Police
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

This forum has hit the nail right on the head with this one for the most part.

The Woman who called the police did the right thing.

Professor Gates should have known better then to berate the officer but certainly did not need to be arrested.

The officer acted within his right to arrest Prof. Gates because he technically disturbing the peace and\or obstructing justice but he obviously arrested him not because he needed to in order to restore order, but because he was offended by Professor Gates conduct and wanted to "teach him a lesson". Within the legal circle the officers actions are called "lawful but awful".

The real mistake here is when Gates broguht race into the issue. The media ran with it instead of investigating and figuring out the truth. Gates was not arrested because he was black and the cop was a racist but because he was an a-hole and the cop was a dick. This happens all the times ignorant people and a-holes are always accused of being racist when really race was never a factor in determining their actions.

Professor Gates actions are purely racist by definition, but I would still not classify him as a racist based on this instance because he likely believed the cop was motivated by race.

President Obama's reaction was probably a foolish one and clearly a misinformed one, but motivated because the man arrested was his friend not because he was black.

Glen Beck is an idiot, his comments display just how igrorant an biased he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote