Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the sound in my headphones today?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #122 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Kate Rusby

Kate Rusby is a name I first came across as the soundtrack provider (along with her then partner John McCusker) to a small English indie film called Heartlands starring Michael Sheen (later making waves with the film Frost/Nixon). As an avid film fan if I hear a great soundtrack I checkout the end credits of a film for artists and whether the soundtrack is available etc. after a very, very long search I managed to find the soundtrack which then lead me to Rusby herself.

Still in her early 30's now, Rusby has clawed her way to the upper echelons of the British Folk scene which barely get's a solid mention in this country (shocking considering our history) and is virtually unknown outside of this country. Stats like this make me extremely despondent when the U.S has it's own burgeoning folk scene that encompasses many genres with artists such as Iron and Wine and Okkervil River along with acoustic artists such as Bon Iver who attract international audiences whilst a British-centric artist such as Rusby is barely known.

Folk music can easily fall into a stereotypical image yet Rusby remains faithful to lost Folk songs and to her own songwriting abilities.

Here is the scene that she won me over in the film, playing live and herself within the film. Skip to 1:55 for the second track.:

and here is the second track in it's entirety:

Further listening:

Hourglass
Underneath The Stars.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote