Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst music critics
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshat View Post
A defence of music criticism is that it offered the only written dialogue about music--which was valuable as long as you didn't take it as gospel truth. It's kind of futile now with the internet.

That sonic youth song "I destroyed robert christgau with my huge fucking ****" pretty much sums up what I think about the guy. Half of his reviews are just a bunch of non-sequiters that only his circle of friends might get...plus he gave thin lizzy a c+ and all the steely dan records A's.

On the other hand I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions. Some people can express there opinions more clearly than others and that's why there is paid music critics just like newspaper columnists...music critics should piss people off...otherwise people wouldn't buy music magazines and the likes. I read the newspaper editorial everyday so I can be pissed off at someday.

....and authenticity isn't a superficial thing...using somebody's else's definition of it instead of your own intuitive sense is.
Christgau couldn't argue music worth a damn, if he tried posting here Jackhammer or Urban would rape the f*ck out of him.

Using the thesaurus like it's an obsession doesn't translate to better reviews, quite the opposite. Music critics really don't have anything to say, a great deal of them just use fancy words to mask what are in fact very brief and mostly invalid descriptions, which are just based on subjective opinion.

Lester Bangs told unsuspecting people that Metal Machine Music was the best album ever made, it's obviously not about consumer advice. And it's just insulting, the very idea that we can't just do what we know we're capable of, use word of mouth and recommend music to each other. Like we really need some overpaid, overprivilaged c*nt telling us what to listen to and telling us that we're stupid for liking so and so.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote