Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #383 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Lizard View Post
Fair enough, then I can only give my reason for liking it. Since the album is basically a dadaist work the form of an album.

I like it because it manages to combine old style rhythm n' blues, out-of-consciousness lyrics, and bouts with random yelps and farting noises. Which can lead to hilarious results for some, but I personally think it jams.

It's a disjointed, sloppy collage of avant-garde concepts old and half-assed. The fact it seems so crazy is one of its attractions.
It also has the effect to make itself completely unlikeable in the first listen, I thought it to be more of a novelty when I first heard it, but I gave it more listens over time, and within a few weeks I thought it was ****ing brilliant.
The album has an overwhelming feeling of being very pretentiously contrived.

It is the air of pretention that rubs me the wrong way. It pervades the music and is much louder than anything auditory on the album.There's nothing evocative about the album, except that which evokes disdain for the listening experience itself. Anything of artistic merit is buried under a contrived heap of absurdity for the sake of drawing attention to itself.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote