Music Banter - View Single Post - New Fat Freddy's
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
You know Seltzer, this is a bit off topic, but I'd be curious to know from someone one from New Zealand what the actual music scene is like over ther. It seems like all the new music I love is coming from New Zealand (well, no, but FFD and The Black Seeds account for a lot of what I'm positively raving about lately). Has there actually been a perceived growth in NZ's music scene from your perspective or has the rest of the world's exposure to it just increased?
Our music scene has its ups and downs like any, but I'd say it's pretty good in general. At the moment its main strengths are in roots/reggae/dub but we have music of a more experimental nature as well - it's fair to say we run the gamut of music. Regardless, there always seems to be a discernible NZ vibe present.

Sadly I don't get around to seeing anywhere near as much live music as I should but there's always something interesting happening. I hear there's quite a good jazz scene down in Wellington but I've never been that far south.

As for whether it has grown in the past couple of decades, I can't really say since I haven't been around for long enough. In the 80s the NZ indie scene and Flying Nun bands were internationally renowned and our current scene is getting some attention, but I'm not really sure what was going on in the time between. I'd say that increased exposure due to the net is really helping things because in the past, there was a lot of music that never really made it beyond Australia.

Btw have you heard Hollie Smith?