Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
For a supposed open minded forum the lack of love for Electronic music is quite frankly perplexing. Great journal. Keep it up.
I love a ton of electronic, just happens that most of the stuff posted here so far doesn't appeal to me. I pretty much hate trance, particularly mainstream vocal trance. So there's that. And while I don't hate the rest, most of it is very rave-oriented and those days are far behind me, and some is very mainstream at that. I tend to prefer head music over body music. That’s not to say I don’t like a good beat or a dancy song once in a while, I just like it twisted, distorted, abstract, with a degree of difficulty. The hard-style isn’t for me either. I still really like house music (garage, deep, soulful, jazz, tech, disco, and even some hard house) even though I don’t listen to it much anymore, but again, the mainstream stuff does nothing for me. I also enjoy some breaks once in a while, as well as a bit of 2-step/UK Garage. But for the most part my electronic listening is centered around the many styles commonly placed under the IDM umbrella, and trip-hop.

The Plugg'd track was decent. I also liked the fuzzy bass in the R.I.O. track but dislike just about everything else about it. And again, the rest is trance and I mostly hated it even when I was into clubbing/raving and don't feel any better about it now. I may have danced to it a few times while on E but I had to have my house music to be happy.

Now as for Burial…I have to admit that the hype surrounding this album has been a deterrent. A coworker had me check out his first album a few years ago, and I thought it was decent. But overall I found it too spacey and a bit boring. That first track is basically just a build-up, and I don’t like the vocal samples. I’m not really sure about the second track, it also feels like a build up and there’s not much there. I think that was basically my impression of the first album when I heard it, it all felt like it was building up to something but never got there. I do hear a good amount of 2-step in these tracks. I find the third track more interesting than the first two, but still don’t really care for the vocal samples and it also seems a bit directionless…like it’s just coasting. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I sure as hell don’t want all songs or artists to be the same. I’m just not feeling it much.

B. Fleischmann is an artist that probably appeals to me more, but I’ve yet to check out any of his albums. I’m sampling the videos, hmm is that Lou Reed vocals on the first track? Pretty decent, it definitely doesn’t offend me. I could chill to it and probably enjoy it, but it also doesn’t make me want to run out and pick it up. Second track now…oh so this is B. Fleischmann singing I guess? I always thought he was more of an instrumental artist. I’m not too big on most male vocals with electronic music, but again it doesn’t offend me or anything. I feel very neutral about it.

So please don't take any offense to my comments, I mainly just posted as a response to Jackhammer saying that there was no interest in electronic. I happen to love electronic music and it probably makes up about 50% of my listening, I just don't care for this type of electronic. But I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what other stuff you end up posting, as evidenced by the B. Fleischmann post, it's not all trance.