Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Guitar 101
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i hear ya MDB, and i've heard great things about the modern epiphone LPs, heck i still enjoy my epi special II every now and again. if i wanted the look of a classic LP i'd definitely consider an epi as well, but i wouldn't be telling anyone i played a les paul. you're right as well when you say they can still be compared but ultimately, whether you like it or not, there's a status symbol factor as well.

a les paul is not an entry level guitar, it's not made for beginners. personally if i see someone playing any sort of gibson or other high end gear i expect them to know their stuff because of the time and effort invested into becoming a musician of that caliber. unfortunately that isn't the case as much anymore with more and more spoiled idiots thinking they need pro gear to be good (but it's great for people keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market).

as for people spending serious cash and not really knowing what to expect, i point you back to the start of this thread, the OP never flat out said it but i'd bet my strat that was the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote