Music Banter - View Single Post - Classic Country Albums
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

The Very Best of Hank Williams
Hank Williams Sr.

This album right here is classic classic country music. Simple lyrics, strong bluegrass roots, rough sound quality, and old fashioned vocal style are all factors that give away the age of this album. When I listen to this album I feel like I am hearing an ancient artifact of country music history. And those things let me overlook the pretty outdated dorkiness of it

Hank Williams was one of his era's music giants and influenced so many of the up and coming artists. Don't let his innocent outward appearance fool you, he was a wild man, especially for his time. A few of his songs on this album give you a little idea while keeping it pretty PG.

I would also like to add that, the album I am reviewing was released in LP form, but was later redone and called "Greatest Hits" in 1981. Its the same songs just different order. I picked this album because it is not missing any good songs, and if I were to recommend one, it would be this.

Your Cheatin Heart A pretty slow one, basic blugrass instruments, basic beat, but I love the lyrics. One of Hanks biggest hits and one of my favorites.

Jambalaya
Homesick Blues
Half As Much
Cold Cold Heart

Hey Good Lookin This song really is a window into the lives of the people of these times. I have to laugh when I hear this just because it didn't take much to entertain them and the lyrics really show it. I would hate to think how many time some guy sand this to his wife back in the day cause my grandpa used to sing it to my grandma all the time.

Hey, hey, good lookin',
Whatcha got cookin'?
How's about cookin' somethin' up with me?
Hey, sweet baby,
Don't you think maybe
We could find us a brand new recipe?
I got a hot-rod Ford and a two-dollar bill
And I know a spot right over the hill.
There's soda pop and the dancin's free,
So if you wanna have fun come along with me.
Hey, good lookin',
Whatcha got cookin'?

I'm free and ready,
So we can go steady.
How's about savin' all your time for me?
No more lookin',
I know I've been tooken [sic].
How's about keepin' steady company?

I'm gonna throw my date-book over the fence
And find me one for five or ten cents.
I'll keep it 'til it's covered with age
'Cause I'm writin' your name down on every page.
Hey, good lookin',
Whatcha got cookin'?

Why Don't You Love Me
Weddin Bells
Kaw Liga
So Lonesome I Could Cry
Ramblin Man

Honky Tonkin My favorite off the album. Its got great, great rhythm and I think it really gives you the best feel of his Hank's music in general. His vocals crack me up in this song. He is on the edge of yodeling at times.

Overall, I wanted to review this Hank Williams Sr. album just so you guys can check it out and experience it a couple times, not necessarily fall in love with it, because I doubt that will be the case.

Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote