Music Banter - View Single Post - Can you be a music lover if you don't play an instrument?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

I'm going to take the ******* route and say that playing an instrument has fortified my appreciation and love of music. There's nothing quite like the feeling of creating your own music..no matter how terrible it might be. I can listen to an album like black flags damaged and say "it sounds like those guys are hurting themselves playing their instruments", and I sort of feel the vicarious rush that these guys felt in making this music.

Before I learned to play music I'd marvel at guys like eddie van halen...then when having to practice with evh's I found out how boring it must be play with a guitar wanker, and how a solid rythym section was sacrificed at the hands of countless wankers.

.....In my personal experience, playing an instrument has made the process of listening to music more vivid and enjoyable...but that's just me and I don't think there's any way of measuring how shallow or how deep your listening to music is.....and if you wanna learn an instrument it's never too late.