Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Led Zeppelin Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #239 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Quote from Jimmy Page:

"The thing is they were traditional lyrics and they went back far before a lot of people that one related them to. The riffs we did were totally different, also, from the ones that had come before, apart from something like "You Shook Me" and "I Can't Quit You," which were attributed to Willie Dixon. The thing with "Bring It On Home," Christ, there's only a tiny bit taken from Sonny Boy Williamson's version and we threw that in as a tribute to him. People say, "Oh, 'Bring It On Home' is stolen." Well, there's only a little bit in the song that relates to anything that had gone before it, just the end"
yes some of it was called 'traditional', although a lot of that is due to contentious claims by various people claiming to be the original authors. 'hey joe' and 'house of the rising sun' are other clear examples of 'traditional' songs with claims of ownership.

but i was thinking more in terms of them having to attach the name 'killing floor' to 'the lemon song' and adding credit to Memphis Minnie for 'when the levee breaks'. plus how can one call an uncredited addition to a song a 'tribute' to the original artist? if you don't name drop the artist or list them in the credits how are people who only know the details of the music from the liner notes of the album supposed to find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote