Music Banter - View Single Post - Cat Stevens
Thread: Cat Stevens
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #41 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I've been slowly listening through the songs of Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens), since I didn't listen to him while I was growing up. I very much admire his musicality and the genuine feelings he expresses in his music.

Right now I'm listening to Yusuf's "The Wind," which I heard the first time several months ago on his myspace: Cat Stevens on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads. Even though I don't have a religious nerve in my body, the song still makes me want to cry, and I'm not even sure quite why! I think it is because the tune is beautiful to me and it describes someone who is in touch with his feelings and who feels at peace with life, even while looking back through it and the bad times/choices he made, from which he learned. I just wish the song were much longer than 1 minute 42 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DFp00tnSv4&NR=1

Those who posted earlier that Yusuf did not approve of a fatwa on Salman Rushdie are correct according to Wikipedia and Yusuf himself:

Wikipedia:
"The singer attracted controversy in 1989, during an address to students at London's Kingston University, where he was asked about the fatwa calling for the death of author Salman Rushdie. Newspapers quickly interpreted his response as support for the fatwa, but he released a statement the following day which said that he had not been supporting vigilantism, and was merely explaining the legal Islamic punishment for blasphemy. In the years since these comments, he has strongly denied ever calling for the death of Rushdie or supporting the fatwa."

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-04-2009 at 10:31 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote