Music Banter - View Single Post - Battles
Thread: Battles
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 AM   #38 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidusauron12 View Post
In a ways, both. I don't think that their compositions allow them to display their playing skills adequately. Not that good music needs to be complex or have shredding...

And as for creativity... their ideas are a bit interesting but they do not go strongly enough in whatever direction they are heading that their songs leave a marked impression on me. In "Atlas" for example, I feel like their something a little too minimalistic and lacking about the music... Essentially, it feels like they're trying a bit too hard to be interesting, so their songs have ambiguous direction - this gives the song a mediocre atmosphere.

This, of course, is my opinion. I'm not sure how musically talented the players are, but in my experience, good composition and creativity can cover up in lack in actual talent. If you have any examples of "cooler" songs from these guys, I'd like to seem them.
Normally I'd have the same view of it if we were talking about anyone else, specifically most of the post-rock groups I've heard.

But there's just something about Atlas. I hear it, I like it. It's as analytical as I get with it.
But I understand where you're coming from.