Music Banter - View Single Post - Your parents' music
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Davey Moore
The Great Disappearer

I think I'm into the acoustic music I'm into because of my dad. The other day I thought, hey I'll introduce him to some Nick Drake, because I thought he wouldn't of known him, but as I put it on he was like "oh yeah, I knew of him before he died." I flipped out in a good way, haha.

Some of my earliest memories are of him playing 'Father and Son' by Cat Stevens to me on his acoustic guitar, which is an absolutely great song by the way, and a totally kick ass thing for a dad to sing to his son. He really likes Jackson Browne and all that classic stuff, really into the singer songwriter movement. My dad was in a ****ton of bands in the 80s in the local music scene, and he told me my first favorite song was actually 'Jeremy' by Peal Jam, and I used to call it 'Spoken'.

Around my middle school age my mom got me into classic rock because she bought that two disc Led Zeppelin DVD. Before that I was in a Linkin Park phase but that snapped me out of it like a slap in the face. I was like 'who is that guy with the violin bow on his guitar!!!! zomggg'

When I was little my mom would play the 'Jagged Little Pill' album by Alanis Morissete. I listened to it again recently and I've forgotten how great the lyrics are. Like a female Leonard Cohen or something.

That led(haha get it? high five!) into The Beatles and I was obsessed with them for a while, which my parents loved.

Our musical tastes diverged though, as soon as I bought that first Velvet Underground disc. Then I started telling them I'd rather not listen to Rush, I'd rather listen to other stuff, and when I put that in, their ears hurt. Then I found out about this site and the Pitchfork lists, and well, the rest is sort of history for my musical tastes.