Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #243 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
My opinion of Metallica is basically this, the first 2 albums are simply thrash metal, whereas Puppets and Justice are the group bringing in a more complex and progressive sound, this was then followed up by the Black Album which as stated above was designed to make the group the biggest act on the planet, despite not being a fan of the album it does contain singles, big riffs but most importantly from a commercial aspect a big clean easy to listen to sound, the heaviness is still there but its just all been polished up, which is why so many people everywhere say they love Metallica, despite not being metal fans. I think from their first album to Black is just the natural process of a group seeking world dominance.

Whereas Load is a completely different thing, a hard rock denser sound with a strong blues element and even Lynyrd Skynyrd sound on some songs, no real singles etc. The group were not looking to build on Black but trying something totally different.

I actually liken Load to Led Zeppelin`s Houses of the Holy, Zeps experimental album (not sound wise though) and after the success of Led Zeppelin IV the group just wanted a change of direction and experiment and I think Metallica were seeking to do the same with Load
Yeah I would agree with pretty much most of this. If thats what Metallica wanted to achieve with the Load and Reload albums then I still would say that I would have hoped for them do so with a little more success rather than records that just seemed to struggle a little with the transition and were never really going anywhere.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote