Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #244 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Totally agree with you about the evolution of a band and once you`ve achieved the pinnacle of your sound its time to move on. I think the yardstick of any band out there, should be the Beatles because their evolution from the poppy "Love me do" to the albums of Sgt Pepper and then onto Abbey Road are quite simply amazing and all this in just 7 years!!! Whereas say AC/DC, have been banging out the same sound for like over 30 years with little change!!!
I think thats something deserving of respect though, do you not? Bands like Motorhead and AC/DC have recycled the same sound over and over for decades. There has been very little variation in their sound from record to record. With those bands, you pretty much know what to expect. However most bands wouldn't last that long if they werent going to mix things up a bit, if they hadnt settled on a sound and decided "To hell with it, this is how we want to sound" and although there are always gonna be poorer albums, weaker albums in any bands back catalogue I think both AC/DC and Motorhead have managed to maintain a degree of consistency without ever really bringing anything else to the table.

Failure to evolve can certainly kill some bands but others are just good enough to make it work for them.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote