Music Banter - View Single Post - NBA - Up and Coming Teams
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fan Of Music
Groupie

Default NBA - Up and Coming Teams

So every NBA post I have seen talk about three teams. The Lakers, the Cavs, and the Celtics. Why are we talking about the teams that are good now? I figured I would talk about their future competitors.

First team I would like to talk about are my boys, the Portland Trail Blazers. They finished 21-61 in 2005-2006. This was coming off a 27-55 season. Then in 2006-2007 they finished 32-50. Pretty bad huh? Kevin Pritchard thought so. He then began to weed out the problem, our players. We got some great players, and the next year finished at .500 with a 41-41 record. Then last year, Portland finished with 56 in the W column. This wasn't just enough for the playoffs, this was homecourt advantage. Unfortunately, the Rockets took the challenge and stomped on Portland's dream. They lost in the first round. That isn't the point though. The point is that they have gotten better each year, and now that they have a good coach and a general manager capable of pulling in great players like he has been, they are going to keep getting better. The Rockets are all but out of contention this year. In last years playoffs, they lost both Dikembe Mutumbo and Yao Ming, and in the off season Ron Artest left. They are going to need a year or two to rebuild. This is going to be great for Portland, because they had trouble with Ron Artests toughness and Yao Mings dominance on the inside. I think Portland just needs a big win in the Staples Center, and to beat the Cavs at least once to get the confidence that they need to make it somewhere. The Lakers have given us fits in LA, and the Cavs have given us fits anywhere and everywhere. Wins against those teams would really boost our spirts. I believe that within five years, a championship trophy will come to Portland.

Next I would like to talk about the Atlanta Hawks. This is a team with a great group of talent. Problem is they aren't that great on the road. At home, the Hawks went a respectable 34-13. On the road, they went 17-29. If they could work on that road win percentage, they could be a great team. Their record in general has increased over the years though. In 1997-1998 they won 51 games. That is a pretty solid record. The problem is they never got to 40 wins in the next 8 seasons, even dropping as low as 13 wins in 2004-2005. After that year is when they began to get better. The won 26 games the next season. Granted they were by no means good, they won twice as many games as the previous season. The nest year, 2006-2007, they won thirty games. Still not great, but an improvement. The next year, they made the 40 win mark, and became the worst team in the playoffs. That is when they surprised everybody. The 40-42 Atlanta Hawks forced the Celtics into game seven. The team that would go on to win the championship was taken to seven games by the worst team in the playoffs. Granted they lost, they proved they could hold their own against a good team in the playoffs, even without home court advantage. Then, last year, they improved by 11 wins to gain a 51 win record. I see the Hawks making it past the first round again next year, but not winning a championship. The great teams are going to stay that way for now, and I don't think the Hawks can take them, but they have shown by experience that they can give them a run for their money.

These are the only two teams that I want to talk about for now, mostly because I have not done a lot of research on any other team histories. If you would like, I will though. Just reply with your thoughts on up and coming teams. And please, lets keep it civil.
Fan Of Music is offline   Reply With Quote