Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #247 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
a couple points...

1. The thing about the Beatles is, most would argue they got better with the change. (I know I would.) Pop has always been a tough genre to be the best in because the goal is to be as appealing as possible to the most people. And I have to commend the Beatles for doing that better than everyone else.

But Metallica took a genre that was lucky to have its own designation and sky rocket it to a genre that could have platnium selling records.

For them, they started at the top essentially. Even Kill 'Em All which isn't terribly good, their still at the top of the genre. As Kerry King said by 1988 there were 100 thrash bands out there and 98 of them were ****.

2. About Hetfields voice. I feel like it does fit as you mentioned with the over all sound. Its short blasts and barks which is highly chracteristic of the band. Its almost like Eminem, who at his height would make the very flow of his raps become part of the beat in the songs.
The Beatles were outstanding individuals especially when George Harrison stepped out of the shadow of McCartney and Lennon, so their evolution was natural given the talent in the band.

As you say Metallica almost created the genre on their own and I imagine that Kerry King would have been correct in saying that most thrash bands would`ve been ****. So given that they were the leaders of the genre, all eyes would`ve been on them and for the sake of the thrash scene they evolved it.

I can put on a either a Metallica CD or a Slayer CD for friends of mine that don`t like metal and most will find the Metallica CD appealing (probably would`ve heard the songs before anyway) and dismiss Slayer as a violent agressive noise etc and not like it. The fact that both are thrash makes no difference to them, the fact is that Metallica are listenable to them and probably explains why both Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi fans buy their records. I know the thought of this, probably wants to make you vomit but Metallica wanted to reach the masses and this is what the masses like unfortunately.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote