Music Banter - View Single Post - The State of MusicBanter
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default The State of MusicBanter

I'll make this a Journal if I decide to keep doing it.

THE STATE OF MUSICBANTER

I like the direction this site is headed; I think a lot of credit goes to the moderators, especially the more tenured ones who’ve helped foster an environment that spawned the MB Reader section. Perhaps as much or even more credit goes to the influx of new members from the last year that have greatly contributed to that section of the site in particular. There are a lot more reviews and personal projects going on now then ever before we seem to have flushed out or at least silenced the majority of instigators and habitual naysayers. I never cease to be amazed by the astounding creativity and cumulative knowledge of this community made possible by the nearly worldwide reach of the internet. Here’s a few of my favorite threads on going on the site right now, hopefully you’ve already indulged and if not what are you waiting for…

Davey Moore’s Essay Project

What a fantastic example of what this site can be at its absolute best. Combining clear passions for music and writing, one of the more transient contributors to Musicbanter shows exactly why he needs to become a mainstay. From poignant personal anecdotes (Funeral) to in-depth and independent analysis of over-reviewed modern classic (Aeroplane over the Sea) the currently completed first 10% of this epic undertaking is some of the best reading on the site.

Flower Child’s Music Journal

A creative and unique take on the journal, focusing on the songs instead of the albums and doing so in a succinct and prolific nature almost unrivalled on the site. Loaded with 1960 and 70’s nostalgia and spanning numerous genre’s, there is an open invitation to discuss some favorites of old and make some new acquaintances with music you didn’t know how much you liked yet.

Anticipation’s Stranger in a Strange Land Journal

For those of you who prefer the road less traveled, visions of Gentleman Johnny dance in seasoned members heads as anticipation’s first member journal proves worth the wait. Swift and stylish reviews of obscure and eclectic artists spanning numerous genres in this just burgeoning thread that has been to often overlooked so far.

The Best New Music from July

Dead Weather – “Hellhound”

A cross between Incubus’ “Science” and RATM’s eponymous debut with a touch of the Cure thrown in, that’s what I heard from the modern day supergroup featuring Led vocals from the Kills Alison Mosshart, the ultra prolific Dean Ferita (most notably of Queen’s of the Stone Age), and the Raconteurs Jack Lawerence and Jack White. All of the musicians display their numerous talents playing numerous instruments and taking turns on the song writing credits without missing a beat within the albums impeccable continuity. Maybe the best album of the decade when all is said and done.

Rural Alberta Advantage – “Hometownes”

Neutral Milk Hotel fans will be satiated by this Edmonton, Alberta trio’s debut which is dripping in Aeroplane influence. With vocals channeling Mangum’s angst and a tried but true repetitive pop song methodology in place, this is a 13 song home run which I can’t shake from my regular rotation.

Retro Response and Review:

With all the affection for the Dead Weather pouring out of me I’d have been remiss not to have revisited the White Stripes catalogue which I not so coincidently have gained a new appreciation for. The best post I remember about the band is one found in the appropriately named “TheBigThree…”’s A View from the Commonwealth Music Journal. You can find the post here: The White Stripes Greatest Hits

Icky Thump: Wonderfully addictive, a pleasing reminder of how much they can rock. A-
Seven Nation Army: Intoxicating introduction riff, on of the first hits I remember. B
Denial Twist: Intense Piano driven romp, personification of the albums sound. B+
Fell in Love With a Girl: The anthem for the early aught’s retro movement into the Blues Rock. B+
Dead Leaves in the Dirty Ground: The first one I took up on the guitar, still love it. B+
Broken Bricks: Raw, energetic sound that defines early Stripes in particular the debut. B-
Instinct Blues: A reminder that not every song has to follow the rules. B+
Death Letter: Heavy Blues from their most outstanding album in my view. A-
Hotel Yorba: Skiffle? I suppose you might as well Jack White. B+
Jolene: Still growing on me perhaps…? C
Hello Operator: As imperfect as perfection gets or something like that. A
Union Forever: Dark and heavy as any offering they’ve had. B-
Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise: A salute to the Wild West maybe? Whatever it is it’s great. A
Catch Hell Blues: An old school jam. B+
Stop Breaking Down: Delightfully dirty, a raunchy romp to alliterate about it. B+
Girl You Have No Faith in Medicine: From the album in the room…Fast but not so furious. C+
Same Boy You’ve Always Known: Melodic march number, always liked it. B

ODDS and END

This Installments Musicbanter Super Cliché: Starting a thread on an artist by posting how you can not believe there isn’t already a thread on said artist.

Unsolicited Advice: Don’t tell your friends when someone else says something bad about them, they do not have a right to know, they would probably be better served not knowing.

Not so Fun Fact:
The link between Anal Cancer and HPV has been found to have a 100% instance of correlation in *** Men a 93% correlation in Women and over 50% correlation in straight men. Always be protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote